We’ve been working on some major upgrades to our Exchange environment over the last while. During the course of that, we started receiving NDR’s for messages sent to mail-enabled public folders. Initially, these were “MapiExceptionNotAuthorized” messages, which are related to permissions. Those were sorted out without too much trouble, as the NDR is at least somewhat descriptive. But then we started receiving a very generic NDR of
#550 4.4.7 QUEUE.Expired; message expired ##.
…not really much to go on. Exchange 2007 does give some more “in plain English, please!” information in its NDR’s, but that also wasn’t much help:
Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:
[user display name]
Microsoft Exchange has been trying to deliver this message without success and has stopped trying. Please try sending this message again, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.
Wow…that was helpful…
We recently received reports of message delivery delays in our Exchange organization. We run Exchange 2007, so I checked out the Hub Transport Servers and discovered that messages were piling up in the Submission queues on both of the main hub transports. Restarting the Microsoft Exchange Transport service didn’t get things going again, so I turned to the Application Log to try to figure out what was going on. Read more…
Dell, Broadcom, and Microsoft have decided to partner up with the release of a technology called TCP/IP Offloading, or TOE for TCP/IP Offload Engine. It was bundled together in the Scalable Network Pack (SNP), included and enabled by default with Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows Server 2003. The gist of this technology is to enable high-load enterprise applications to be easily scalable. For those of you familiar with the OSI model, TOE moves layer 3 and 4 processing out of the OS and CPU into the NIC. The idea is to better utilize advances in network card performance and free up CPU cycles for other purposes, such as application-side processing.
This all seems well and good, if they saw fit to properly test the stuff out against their own applications!
On a recent Exchange 2003 to 2007 upgrade, I ran into a very frustrating issue that significantly delayed our deployment. All new mailboxes that were created on using Exchange 2007 tools (Exchange 2007 Management Console or Powershell) were missing several crucial ADSI attributes, namely:
- msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor (set to “not set”, all other accounts have a blank value here)